Interesting People mailing list archives

Another Windows Genuine Advantage screw up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:35:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick Adams <Rick.Adams () Cello Net>
Date: June 17, 2006 2:49:38 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Another Windows Genuine Advantage screw up

I have an old Dell laptop (2002) running the Windows XP that came preinstalled on it from Dell.

It is running some data monitoring software so I can keep an eye on some environmental issues.

This morning at 3am the monitoring stopped.

I was not amused to find out that the reason it had stopped monitoring was that at 3am Windows Update had loaded the Windows Genuine Advantage module, then rebooted the system after installing it, then refused to allow the system to start up until someone clicked on the box warning that the Dell supplied Windows Xp was not genuine.

How long until some critical system is screwed up by this?