Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Justice sues Jersey to keep telcos quiet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:38:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Fairlie <tfairlie () frontiernet net>
Date: June 17, 2006 12:39:48 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Justice sues Jersey to keep telcos quiet

Dave,

It's relatively easy for large institutions (e.g., the federal
government, big business) to get away with a lot of shady--
or even downright illegal--practices. After all, we live in a
very busy world with countless distractions, and we have
little time to study the myriad developments happening
each and every day and determine which ones are suspicious.

However, for people like me that study these developments
intently, it's becoming unbearable to imagine the shear scope
of what is currently happening in our country. More to the
point, I don't like the quantity of government dealings that
have been put under the protective umbrella of "national security".

There has been a lot of debate over our national security state
since 1947, but I want to focus on just the past few years.
We have seen a growing number of questionable practices
swept under the rug in order to protect "national security".
My take on this is simply: who are they trying to kid?

For example, who is even out to get us? The Chinese? Russians?
Indonesia? Perhaps all of these countries would like us to lose
some of our shine, but I don't think our current military
establishment is overly worried about these threats (at least
compared to the Cold War era). The only threat that Bush has
even allowed to get onto our radar screen has been al Qaeda
and company.

So how, I ask, is talking about failures at the FBI (Cf. Sibel
Edmonds) or telco tapping a risk to our security? How do these
actions (i.e., the gagging of whistleblowers or the wire tapping
of innocent Americans) enable, aid, or abet the terrorists in any
way? After all, wouldn't the best way to protect our country be
finding problems and fixing them (FBI, CIA) or maintaining our
freedoms and liberties in the face of adversity? Instead, we get
the powers that be taking the fifth and shutting everyone up?

Exactly at what point will this reach a head? The only way to
break this logjam is to vote for congresspersons that understand
the problem and fight to fix it. Let's get going.

Tom Fairlie

One attempt at doing this here: http://www.nswbc.org/
National Security Whistleblowers Coalition