Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ICANN ordered by Illinois court to suspend spamhaus.org

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:52:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor" <jezor () tourolaw edu>
Date: October 8, 2006 7:44:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] ICANN ordered by Illinois court to suspend spamhaus.org

Dave,

I'm writing an article on this very subject which I will presenting in
Denmark in December (http://www.iblt.eu), so I've been following this case
with some interest.   I'm not surprised by the ruling, nor by Spamhaus'
recalcitrance--I have seen first hand how Spamhaus will threaten to block list an entire hosting company in order to get the host to shut down a Web
site Spamhaus has decided is a spammer, and also received caustic e-mail
from Spamhaus when I wrote on behalf of a wrongly blocklisted client.

Improper inclusion in filters and block lists is becoming a huge problem for legitimate communicators, whose messages are neither received nor bounced,
but rather absorbed into the ether without notice to either side.  With
everything from mandatory government filings to auction bids to mission
critical announcements being sent via Internet e-mail, those who compile
filters must exercise more care about whom they label as a spammer--the
stakes are just too high.
Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
300 Nassau Road, Huntington, NY 11743
Tel: 631-421-2244 x412  Fax: 516-977-3001
e-mail: jezor () tourolaw edu