Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: New Study Refutes Assumed Link Between Cell Phone Use and Auto Accidents

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:57:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe () gabegold com>
Date: August 20, 2007 10:07:29 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] New Study Refutes Assumed Link Between Cell Phone Use and Auto Accidents

Hardly scientifically rigorous or statistically valid, but I've had far too many dangerous close calls with inattentive drivers on cell phones to believe all the "maybe" reasonings in the article. I've *ridden* with people who were frighteningly distracted by their phone conversations. Drivers making unnecessary lane changes and slowing to talk, drivers leaving exaggerated lengths behind cars they're following, drivers pulling over to the side of the road (!) are hardly driving well/attentively/safely. All these "maybes" are gut feel as much as any belief in the danger of cell phones might be. And there's no way to track "almost" accidents -- the sort of near-miss incidents that ARE reported for airplanes.

I don't see validity in arguing that cell phone use shouldn't be regulated because it's just one more distraction among eating, tuning radio, and changing CDs. I think it's quantitatively different (people spend hours on the phone, only tune radio or switch CDs occasionally) and quantitatively different (you can interrupt tuning radio or switching CDs but are less likely to stop talking mid- sentence when driving suddenly requires full attention).

"Maybe drivers aren't as irrational as we think they are," said Bhargava. "In real life, people may be aware of the risks of cell phones, and they may adjust their driving behavior."

The researchers said drivers on cell phones may move into slower traffic lanes, increase the distance between their cars and others, or pull over to the side of the road to talk. They may also "substitute" across sources of risk by talking on the phone instead of, for example, fiddling with the radio or conversing with a fellow passenger. Maybe cell phone use helps to keep some drivers, such as long-distance truckers, awake and alert, Bhargava and Pathania said. They also theorized that cell phone use is more problematic when driving in poor weather conditions or for drivers in certain demographic groups, such as teenagers.

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Now, a new U.C. Berkeley study appears to confirm that accident
rates simply have not behaved in a way that would validate the views
of those pushing these cell phone laws that affect the general
population:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/08/13_cellphone.shtml

Laws passed on the basis of gut feelings, rather than hard facts,
are often the ones that make the least sense and do the least good.