Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Call for "ISP Point of Contact" Database for Neutrality "Event" Concerns

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:36:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: April 8, 2008 9:20:59 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Call for "ISP Point of Contact" Database for Neutrality "Event" Concerns

David Farber [08/04/08 10:11 -0700]:
From: Lauren Weinstein [lauren () vortex com]
of my primary concerns was that many seemingly reportable "events"
that can occur on the Internet -- and that might seem on their face
to be network neutrality "violations" -- might actually be caused by
innocent technical issues related to ISP operations, testing

Doesnt help that people are so ready to leap to conclusions, eh? This
recent little episode about colorado.edu's tests and comcast for example

It is particularly troubling that there generally is no routine
mechanism available for early contact by neutrality researchers with
appropriate *high level* ISP representatives during investigations

Why should there be and why should high level ISP representatives actually
contact you directly?

of network issues that may relate to neutrality concerns.  Wide
publication of possibly alarming test results followed by ISP
denials in innocent cases is decidedly suboptimal for everyone.

Everyone?  Who, pray? The researchers who screw up and then have to
retract? The ISP? J.Random IP poster? "NN Squad" member?
community, I strongly believe that there would be major positive
benefit for all parties if better communications between these
groups was available.

Chicken and egg. If "these groups" would actually learn to apply at least
some statistical rigor to your crusade for network neutrality, that'd be
great. And it might help ISPs come forward.
Not when all the average network neutrality crusader does is issue this
steady stream of emails to IP, blog posts etc simply criticizing this, that and everything else as a real or more often than not an imagined breach of
neutrality.

I hereby offer NNSquad's services to establish a database of
individuals who would be the designated ISP point of contacts in
cases of detected network events that are suggestive of possible
network neutrality concerns in a broad sense.

Sigh. If it is a large enough operational issue to be noticed by you (end
user on a cable modem), it is probably affecting service enough to be
noticed on nanog and various other forums, and fixed.
And ISP point of contact databases - between ISPs, and ISPs to law
enforcement say - are dime a dozen. It would be very rare indeed, what you
suggest - ISPs providing a db of their senior executives to someone just
because they dont want to be blogged about, or written up on IP. Especially where they more often than not do have their own people reading IP who can
speak up in their own defense, debunk your next fanciful theory etc etc.

I frankly see no point at all in your new database, but that's just me.

        srs