Interesting People mailing list archives

Anthrax

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:53:39 -0700

From: David Lesher [wb8foz () panix com]
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:53 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Anthrax

Prof. F:

The suicide of Dr. Bruce E. Ivins leaves winners and losers.

The big winners: DoJ & FBI. After years "Richard Jewell'ing" the wrong
person [and driving over his toe...], they {perhaps wisely} paid off
Dr. Steven Hatfill to avoid going to court over their actions.

Now they never have to present a case against Dr. Ivins, either.
Plus, I bet they got a bigger budget out of it.

The biggest loser is Dr. Ivins' family. While well behind them in rank,
we the people lose as well. We now never get to know the truths that
open court would provide. (Just like so many other cases during this
Administration.)

But there are more losers -- take Dr. Thomas Butler of Texas Tech. He was
concerned about a discrepancy in inventory of his anthrax vials. Given
the hysteria level, he called the FBI. Big Mistake. There were no
missing vials, but he lost his medical license and was jailed on totally
unrelated charges involving grant funding rules; solid proof of the
matra:

        "Never ever talk to the cops <http://tinyurl.com/64jq67>;
        There's always SOMETHING to find you guilty of..."

I'm sure there are many who take Dr. Ivins' suicide as proof of his
guilt. I have no direct knowledge of him or the case, but I suspect that
years of 24x7 FBI harassment could drive many people to suicide, even if
all they've done is park on the wrong side of the street.

ps: Note the URL is from Monica Goodling's alma mater.