Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: READ Suspicion not required for border laptop seizures

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:51:28 -0700

From: Brock N. Meeks [bmeeks () cox net]
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:36 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:       Suspicion not required for border laptop seizures

I did a story back in January of 2006 that uncovered how DHS was routinely
opening mail coming into  the U.S. When DHS opens the mail, they slap an
ugly splotch of green colored wide tape on the letter to close it back up;
the tape is imprinted with some phrase identifying that DHS has been
snooping around in your mail.

However, as I was digging into the policies of both CBP and ICE it appears
that letters "in the U.S. Postal System" have more protection than the
contents of your hard drive.

CBP Policy:

Sealed Letter Class Mail. Officers may not read or permit others to read
correspondence contained in sealed letter class mail (the international
equivalent of First Class) without an appropriate search warrant or consent.
Only articles in the postal system are deemed "mail." Letters carried by
individuals or private carriers such as DHL, UPS, or Federal Express, for
example, are not considered to be mail, even if they are stamped, and thus
are subject to a border search as provided in this policy.

ICE:

Sealed Letter Class Mail.
a) Border searches of mail are governed by particularized law and policy.
See 19 C.F.R. Part 145; 19 U.S.C. § 1583. Any possible border search of
letter class mail ("LC") shall be coordinated with CBP Officers assigned to
such international mail facility and must conform to the guidelines set
forth in CBP Handbook 3200-06A, International Mail Operations and
Enforcement Handbook, or any successor document. Additionally, the U.S.
Postal Service requires that it be notified and present at any border search
of LC mail. Consultation with the ICE Office of Chief Counsel or the local
U.S. Attorney's Office is recommended when considering a border search of
any article that may be considered mail.

b) Letters carried by individuals or private caniers such as DHL, UPS, or
Federal Express, for example, are not considered to be mail, even ifthey are
stamped, and thus are subject to border search as provided in this
Directive. See 19 C.F.R. § 145.3.