Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: trying to understand the business model for

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:22:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Matthew Tarpy" <tarpy () tarpify com>
Date: August 27, 2008 9:05:33 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] trying to understand the business model for

Hi Dave--

(for IP if you're interested)

I use them all the time...they're really good for monitoring a bunch of
accounts and letting you know if certain triggers are hit.

I don't really use them for banking (like you, I'm skeeved out by
someone knowing my banking info), but for a lot of my travel...they
almost always (and by almost I mean AA's beat them once in over 100K
miles of travel) tell me if an upgrade pops on AA (carrier of choice)
before AA sends me an email, or lets me know if there's a change to an
itinerary.

It's an interesting concept, I like the thought of a personalized portal
that shows your sensitive info (account balances, bills due, etc)...and
to be honest I think their target audience is younger Gen-X'ers (people
born 1977-1979) and Millennial's who are, by nature, much more willing
to share personal info for convenience sake. But they need to build up
some serious cred about their motives and capabilities around keeping
private stuff private before I get any more entangled with them.

As for their business model, I'm sure at some point it will migrate to
some form of monthly subscription, with a relatively low pain-point
threshold (<$5/user/month). For the utility that it already gives me,
I'd probably shell over the shekels.

--matthew