Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: BEST LAW MONAY CAN BUY -- Senate votes Telecom immunity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:23:12 -0800

From: Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law [froomkin () law miami edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:48 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   BEST LAW MONAY CAN BUY --  Senate votes Telecom immunity

[for IP, if you wish]

As important as the cutting off of the telco civil liability are these
other two aspects of the awful Senate bill

1) By closing down the civil suits, we'll never find out via discovery who
in the administration made the (undoubtedly knowing) illegal requests, and
how they persuaded these very well lawyered companies who were very
familiar with their legal duties after 20+ years of experience dealing
with such requests to ignore the law they knew so well.  The possibility
of threats to their government contracts (very illegal acts by government
officials) cannot be completely discounted.

2) The constraints on the administration going forward are much weaker
than the ones they ignored.  And by removing the "exclusivity" clause
currently in FISA, the Senate invites the White House to argue that it can
ignore the parts of the bill it doesn't like.  And we know that this white
house likes to do that (see "signing statements").

This bill isn't law yet, and there is talk of a genuine filibuster later
on, but even so it is hard for me to understand how anyone who respects
the rule of law could vote for this.  It is genuinely appalling to me.