Interesting People mailing list archives

A very strong reason universities should require students use P2P protocols.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:35:23 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:15 AM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Dan Lynch'; ': Dr. Lawrence Roberts'; 'Lauren Weinstein'
Subject: A very strong reason universities should require students use P2P protocols.

If this is really P2P then with 20,000 students over the course of a semester it is highly likely that 99% of the
content will be available locally at full local network speed. A video stream for viewing at a few Mbps is a minor
local load for local traffic on a network with 1Gbps managed switches in every closet.

So this is a very strong case for P2P protocols to the point that universities should require them both for external
content and community content shared among students within and among universities and other communities.

DRM strategies that frustrate caching are problematic because they can require each viewer have a real time stream
direct from an approved source to an approved screen with “cable” being a particular wasteful and costly example. Given
that the constriction model of network management creates huge artificial costs other business models would make sense
but that’s a separate topic – for this discussion it’s useful to observe that DRM approaches create costs and
annoyances that can easily outweigh the benefits of using them.

A 1Gbps is a very small connection for a very big university. At very least the university must have direct peering
with all the local paths so students can participate in classes and other activities even if not living on campus.

Thanks for making a strong case for P2P.