Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "The ID Divide"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:08:02 -0700

From: Brock N. Meeks [bmeeks () cox net]
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 9:02 PM
To: David Farber; beberg () stanford edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  "The ID Divide"

I love the debates, articulated comments and reasoned opinion that I find on
this list, so when an impassioned response is posted that is error prone it
just take the wind out of my sails.

First, our "whole economy" does not "run on credit cards."  It may "run on
credit" but it sure doesn't run on credit cards.

Second, you actually can fly without having to show an ID; granted it's a
big pain in the ass, but it can be done (however, as John Gilmore has
championed, we have yet to find out exactly where the "show ID" requirement
comes from).

Third, it's completely wrong that terrorists don't have (or use) email, IM,
cell phones or make purchases, so saying that terrorists don't use any "of
those things, so aren't traceable," is simply wrong.