Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Addams Family or Ned Flanders? The FCC Internet Censorship Battle Heats Up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:21:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <nnsquad () brettglass com>
Date: October 14, 2008 11:50:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "Ip ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: Addams Family or Ned Flanders? The FCC Internet Censorship Battle Heats Up

At 07:33 PM 10/13/2008, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

Greetings. The FCC appears poised to push ahead with plans to auction off spectrum to provide "free" nationwide wireless Internet service, but wants to make sure that the Internet you access this way is thoroughly culturally shackled.

So, let me get this straight. The FCC pillories Comcast for doing content-neutral filtering of P2P activity, based on a set of "principles" that say, among other things, that users should be able to access the content of their choice. They then turn around and announce that they intend to auction off spectrum on the condition that users NOT be able to access the content of their choice?

Another question we might ask -- does it make sense to hand off the entire nationwide control of this unused spectrum to a single entity? Why not make it available on reasonable terms to the various smaller spectrum-starved regional and local wireless entities -- we might actually see some vibrant Internet access competition enabled that way.

Indeed.

Another thing that must be considered is the mandated business model in which the licensee is compelled to give away free service. Our own wireless ISP does give away some free service -- but not on the scale that is being proposed! Due to the high cost of Internet backbone bandwidth in rural areas such as ours (which, again, is kept high by a lack of direct backbone access or reasonable pricing of backhauls), neither we nor anyone else could afford to give away as much as is mentioned in the M2Z proposal in our area. Any provider that did would lose its shirt.

What's more, what would one do to prevent someone from buying a dozen radios, connecting them all to the free service, and aggregating the bandwidth so as to get unreasonably large amounts of bandwidth at no cost? I could see proposing a cap on the price of service (perhaps a sliding one, depending upon the cost of backbone bandwidth). But making any service -- filtered or not -- free to all comers, especially with a mandate to serve high cost areas, would impose an unsustainable business plan upon the provider to which the spectrum was granted.

--Brett Glass