Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:03:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 18, 2008 11:39:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, "Savage, Christopher" <ChrisSavage () dwt com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

Revoking gamblers' lottery tickets? Nice move, unless the gamblers fund your campaigns, as they do in this case.

I'm sure Milton Friedman would have argued that the more gambling there is, especially unregulated, the better for the economy. The mathematical models prove it, by the way. There has never been a mathematical economic model that demonstrates that contingent securities harm economies, and lots of "evidence" that "prediction markets" "always work".

A mathematical economist who stood up to say that "prediction markets" are a bad idea (or even might not always be wonderful) would be laughed out of the profession, unless they came up with extraordinary proof. It's a career limiting move for anyone entering the math side of US economics profession to be skeptical of the idea that price doesn't reflect information perfectly. You have to pay homage to the holy writ.

Begin forwarded message: