Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:36:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Claudio Gutierrez" <claudio.gutierrez.m () gmail com>
Date: October 21, 2008 9:11:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: dpreed () reed com
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

<David P. Reed wrote> I think the problem is that the modelers decided that their models were true, regardless of data....The "laws of finance" are far from physics in their quality of validation, and quants are largely *failed* physicists

No one has declared that the laws of finance are empirically validated. Fischer Black (the Black in Black-Scholes formula for the valuation of stocks options) wrote: "In the end, a theory is accepted not because it is confirmed by conventional empirical tests, but because researchers persuade one another that the theory is correct and relevant" . Thomas Wilson, chief insurance risk officer of the ING Group, wrote: "A model is always wrong, but not useless."

Additionally, to say that quants are failed physicists is like saying that Electrical Engineers fail when we don't work developing circuits. Many quants are PhD in physics but they are also mathematicians and computer scientists who have migrated to financial sector because better salaries and working conditions. A very good account of being first an successful physicist and then a quant is found on the book "My life as a Quant" by Emanuel Derman.

Regards
Claudio