Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Petition against Airtel "Fair Usage" Policy in India

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 02:30:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: March 1, 2009 1:04:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Petition against Airtel "Fair Usage" Policy in India

Hi Dave,

I am writing from Bangalore...so I can speak from experience about DSL and more in India.

India has some of the cheapest DSL available, with 2 catches. All of the cheap plans are limited usage, sometimes as little as 1 or 5 GB (or less!) per month. IMHO, this is a good thing, allowing $2/month DSL for the masses (in a few cases, and $4-5 in most urban locations) Second, the advertised speeds are rarely achieved. Part of this depends on where the other end of the path is (domestic vs. international). Within India, the backbones are reasonable, at least compared to the very $$$$ international bandwidth.

To give a sense of how much plans vary BY USAGE, unlimited plans cost 3-5 times limited plans. The Airtel plan reduces by half the plan speed after crossing 40 GB of usage in the month. That's reasonably generous, considering most people I know have plans with some 1 or 5 GB caps, after which they keep their speed but pay 2 cents or so per MB! In comparison, free usage but at half the speed is quite reasonable.

Is this an ideal world? No. Speeds should be faster, usage unlimited. But if business models dictate some compromises, the airtel cap seems reasonable. There is no discrimination by usage/port/application, so any claims this violates net neutrality is bizarre.

In a land where there are power cuts daily, I am not sure what fraction of users would be impacted by 40 GB semi-caps (literally, half speed). My bet is this is going to be less than 1% of users, or even 0.1%.

Let's do some math. At 512 kbps rated speed (and note, Airtel often does better than the main competitor, the ex-incumbent, govt. co. BSNL, when it comes to real speeds compared to advertised speeds), 1.3 GB per day of usage is (ignoring overhead) just under 6 hours of full throttle downloading @512 kbps per day. Given practical speeds are sometimes slower, we're talking many hours of continuous "full-usage" per day. Other than people with specific needs/applications, this just doesn't seem like an issue.

Rahul

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Scientist

Program in Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS)
School of Computer Science (ISR) /
Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA