Interesting People mailing list archives

from the author -- Porn in the USA: Conservatives are biggest consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:05:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Edelman, Benjamin" <bedelman () hbs edu>
Date: March 2, 2009 8:35:54 AM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Porn in the USA: Conservatives are biggest consumers

Dave,

I wrote the underlying paper being discussed in this thread. For anyone interested in the full paper, not just news coverage thereof, it's at http://people.hbs.edu/bedelman/papers/redlightstates.pdf .

To your readers' questions about privacy protections: The data I received had very few fields -- just zip code, date of subscription, and a very little bit of information about purchase (subscription duration, whether a new subscription). No names, no email addresses, no street addresses, no credit card numbers, nothing in that vein.

Brock's privacy concerns are well-taken in the abstract, and I share his general concerns. But I don't think those concerns have much bite given the limited data I received. To his question about the quality of the data-processing: My data source provided this data correctly, promptly, and just as described above.

Ben Edelman