Interesting People mailing list archives

Microsoft's Danger Data Service disrupts users for over a week and now warns of loss of contact and calendar information -- unbelievable screw-up

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:47:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 11, 2009 11:34:21 EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>, "'John F. McMullen'" <johnmac13 () gmail com >
Cc: 'Lauren Weinstein' <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Microsoft's Danger Data Service disrupts users for over a week and now warns of loss of contact and calendar information -- unbelievable screw-up

I’d steer clear of the corporate offices for fear of rolling heads. What is a “service disruption”? It’s especially embarrassing that happened with Microsoft but I presume this is a very common pro blem as one delegates to “the cloud”. It’s like buying a leased line from a phone company and presuming it will “just work” without having a plan B.

For those buying cloud services – how many them have backup as an ex plicit part of the offering? The emphasis tends to be on the active operation and low costs. Backup can be tricky when we have an active service with live information. And if this is about cost then who w ould want to spend money on “frills”. In a large project I can easily see “backup” falling through the cracks – it’s not something you think of before you’ve been burnt. After all, you’ve outsourced that IT stuff.

Has there been any research on the degree of this kind of exposure? The exposure only increases if the service are reliable and failures are the exception – that assures there is no learning.

Saying there was no problem prior to the acquisition plays into just this kind of naïve assumption that if nothing has gone wrong then th ere was no systemic problem. Before I propose sidekick-specific fixe s I’d like to know more about what happened.