Interesting People mailing list archives

Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:54:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us
Date: February 24, 2010 3:46:22 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech

Dave

Perhaps for I.P.

IANAL, but I am confused.

In 8th grade at Osborn school here in Phoenix, lo these many decades ago, Lloyd Wilhite taught us that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. He taught
us that the U.S. Code falls beneath the Constitution.

My confusion arises from the accompanying headline, "Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech". If I was taught correctly, it seems to me that the Constitution
prevails.

Can some lawyer(s) on I.P. set me straight?

Thanks!
Bob

--

Bob Rosenberg
P.O. Box 33023

This message is hereby Creative Commons licensed: Attribution- NonCommercial

Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech

2 comments Feb. 24, 2010 12:00 AM
McClatchy-Tribune
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/02/24/20100224scotus-terror0224.html

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court struggled Tuesday to resolve a conflict between the free-speech rights of a Los Angeles-based advocate for international peace and a broad anti-terrorism law that makes it a crime to advise a foreign terrorist group,
even if it means advising its members to seek peace.

The justices sounded closely split between those who saw this as a terrorism case and those who saw it as a free-speech case. A ruling in the case is expected in late
June.

U.S. Solicitor General Elena Kagan urged the court to uphold the broad sweep of the terrorism law and to permit prosecutions of anyone who gives any support to a terrorist group. She discounted the "supposed First Amendment claims" raised by
human-rights advocates.

"When you help Hezbollah build homes, you're helping them build bombs," she said.

But Georgetown law professor David Cole said the human-rights advocates he represents are not interested in supplying bombs, but rather in urging foreign groups to avoid violence and to take their disputes to the United Nations.

"They seek peaceful solutions to conflict. And they support only lawful activities," he said. Cole is representing the Humanitarian Law Project in Los Angeles and its president, Ralph Fertig, a University of Southern California professor who has
advised the Kurds in Turkey.

In 1997, the State Department listed the Kurdistan Workers Party as a foreign terrorist group, which meant Fertig could go to prison for giving "expert advice or
assistance" to Kurdish leaders.

"The government has been arguing for more than a decade that our clients cannot
advocate for peace," Cole said.