Interesting People mailing list archives

Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:52:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lin, Herb" <HLin () nas edu>
Date: February 24, 2010 11:14:28 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Court weighs anti-terror law, free speech

The simple answer is that many Supreme Court precedents demonstrate that the right to free speech is not an absolute one, but rather one that has to be weighed against other rights and societal interests. On occasion,
there have been SC justices who have said that free speech IS an
absolute right - that one should be allowed to say anything under any
circumstances without fear of legal reprisal--but they have been in the
minority.

Herb Lin