Interesting People mailing list archives

Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:58:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hendricks Dewayne <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 24, 2016 at 2:10:48 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

[Note:  Given the events of last week, I thought it was appropriate to post this item from September by Bruce
Schneier to the list.  DLH]

Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet
By Bruce Schneier
Sep 13 2016
<https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/09/someone_is_lear.html>

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the
Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these
companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but
it feels like a large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses.

First, a little background. If you want to take a network off the Internet, the easiest way to do it is with a
distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS). Like the name says, this is an attack designed to prevent legitimate
users from getting to the site. There are subtleties, but basically it means blasting so much data at the site that
it's overwhelmed. These attacks are not new: hackers do this to sites they don't like, and criminals have done it as
a method of extortion. There is an entire industry, with an arsenal of technologies, devoted to DDoS defense. But
largely it's a matter of bandwidth. If the attacker has a bigger fire hose of data than the defender has, the
attacker wins.

Recently, some of the major companies that provide the basic infrastructure that makes the Internet work have seen an
increase in DDoS attacks against them. Moreover, they have seen a certain profile of attacks. These attacks are
significantly larger than the ones they're used to seeing. They last longer. They're more sophisticated. And they
look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before
stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the
attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.

The attacks are also configured in such a way as to see what the company's total defenses are. There are many
different ways to launch a DDoS attack. The more attack vectors you employ simultaneously, the more different
defenses the defender has to counter with. These companies are seeing more attacks using three or four different
vectors. This means that the companies have to use everything they've got to defend themselves. They can't hold
anything back. They're forced to demonstrate their defense capabilities for the attacker.

I am unable to give details, because these companies spoke with me under condition of anonymity. But this all is
consistent with what Verisign is reporting. Verisign is the registrar for many popular top-level Internet domains,
like .com and .net. If it goes down, there's a global blackout of all websites and e-mail addresses in the most
common top-level domains. Every quarter, Verisign publishes a DDoS trends report. While its publication doesn't have
the level of detail I heard from the companies I spoke with, the trends are the same: "in Q2 2016, attacks continued
to become more frequent, persistent, and complex."

There's more. One company told me about a variety of probing attacks in addition to the DDoS attacks: testing the
ability to manipulate Internet addresses and routes, seeing how long it takes the defenders to respond, and so on.
Someone is extensively testing the core defensive capabilities of the companies that provide critical Internet
services.

Who would do this? It doesn't seem like something an activist, criminal, or researcher would do. Profiling core
infrastructure is common practice in espionage and intelligence gathering. It's not normal for companies to do that.
Furthermore, the size and scale of these probes -- and especially their persistence -- points to state actors. It
feels like a nation's military cybercommand trying to calibrate its weaponry in the case of cyberwar. It reminds me
of the US's Cold War program of flying high-altitude planes over the Soviet Union to force their air-defense systems
to turn on, to map their capabilities.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>