Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Do Women Want to be Oppressed?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:11:55 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>
Date: Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Do Women Want to be Oppressed?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>, ip <ip () listbox com>

Dave,

For IP if you like.

I think where this article goes wrong is that it focuses on Women.  It
would be better if it was titled something like “Do People Want to be
Oppressed” and discussed the issue more broadly.

There are many examples where men want to put themselves in a relationship
where they will be dominated.  The best example I can think of at the
moment is why would anyone (man or women) want to work for Donald Trump.
From all accounts he “dominates” everyone around him, women or men.  This
is well known, but he still manages to find people who want to associate
themselves with him.  In fact, most are men.  They apparently think they
will get something out of the relationship, for example money, power,
prestige, fulfilling an agenda, etc., but they do it at a great cost.

I think this is a human issue, not one limited to women.  Men exhibit all
of the behaviors outlined that the article attributes to women.

Bob