Interesting People mailing list archives

[Internet Policy] Why is ISOC's PIR promoting a private global copyright censorship court for domains?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 16:49:20 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Brandt Dainow <brandt.dainow () gmail com>
Date: Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Internet Policy] Why is ISOC's PIR promoting a private global
copyright censorship court for domains?
To: Richard Hill <rhill () hill-a ch>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst () it aoyama ac jp>,
<internetpolicy () elists isoc org>

The cost for a 3-person panel is €4,000.  If the defender wants a 3-person
panel, they have to pay half that, and the complainant the other half.
However, I've done plenty of different online disputes, and my experience
is that in matters like this, large companies will overwhelm their
opponents with lawyers.  This is about copyright, which gets very legal
very fast, so unless you can afford your own defence lawyers, you just get
rolled over by legal documents you can't even understand, let alone respond
to.  All sorts of tricks can be used.  A very simple one is to produce a
thousand pages of supporting documentation.  You won't stand a chance of
defending yourself against large corporations without legal expenses, and
truth alone won't be sufficient, it never is.

I am firmly convinced this is an example of "mission creep" - the job of
domain name management is to manage allocation of, and disputes over,
ownership of domain names.  It is not the job of domain name management to
have any say in what those domain names are used for.  This is like the US
DMV deciding it is going to take your ownership of a car off you if they
don't like what you do.  We have courts, with complex procedures developed
over centuries for the adjudication of issues like this.  Those complex
procedures evolved through trial and error because judging this sort of
stuff fairly is not simple.  This rising trend of private judicial systems
in commerce is deeply disturbing - this is how democracies get destroyed.

Regards,
Brandt Dainow
brandt.dainow () gmail com

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Brandt_Dainow