Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 21:44:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () gmail com>
Date: October 1, 2017 at 12:46:23 PM EDT
To: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>, dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

On 10/1/2017 12:22 PM, Brett Glass wrote:
At 09:50 AM 10/1/2017, Dave Crocker wrote:
Wireless has fundamentally different contention constraints from wired. Wired is a dedicated channel.  Wireless is
shared.
This is absolutely incorrect - and demonstrates one of the many misconceptions that some seem to harbor about
wireless. We at LARIAT use dedicated point-to-point links for high bandwidth customers. Cable modems use DOCSIS,
which is a contention-based protocol. And FTTH (fiber to the home) systems are multiplexed at the local hub.
(Of course, both encounter sharing at the switch, since networking is all about shared access, but switch
contention is quite different from radio contention. Radio doesn't do buffering and contention detection is harder.)
This is also incorrect. The point-to-multipoint radios we use in our

Brett, actually you substantiate my point.  You are using a specialized, point-to-point technology, which is hugely
different from the wireless technologies used more broadly.

My point is not that wired has no issues while wireless has onerous ones.  My point is that wired has fewer issues,
that are simpler to deal with, and that have a longer history of being dealt with well, at scale.  My other point is
that wired can constrain contention issues in ways that wireless cannot or at least -- to acknowledge the specialized
kind of service you cite -- most cannot.

By way of a very simple experiment I had to conduct this morning:  I'm renting an apartment this week; it has
Wi-Fi-to-cable Internet access. For convenience when traveling, I use a mobile router, so I only have to configure
it to the local access; then my devices access it, without further configuration.  I was getting terrible
throughput, in the 5-10Mbps range.(*)  The router was doing Wi-Fi to the cable router and my devices were doing
Wi-Fi to the mobile router.  I switched the mobile router to wired access to the cable router.  Throughput is now
30-50Mbps.
This is an invalid apples-to-oranges comparison. The equipment and protocols used by a WISP for its wireless
broadband delivery network are very different from an unmanaged home Wi-Fi network and are far more capable and
reliable.

Please review the simple, absolute sentence that prompted my original posting.  Then note your current, careful
references to the very specific type of wireless you offer.  The issue is not that your statements about the current
service are wrong, but that they don't generalize to the simple, absolute statement I commented on.

For any issue, it is always possible to cite a specific case that nicely demonstrates whatever wonderful
characteristics one wants.  The problem is with generalizing it to a wider range of users and/or a much larger number
of users.

There are many reasons why you may have experienced problems - including RF interference within your building,
bandwidth and/or spectrum hogging by your wireless devices, and/or improper configuration of your router. Even the
"wireless repeater" products commonly sold in stores are inefficient and should be considered a last resort; we do
not recommend their use. Instead, we recommend the installation of additional Wi-Fi access points, operating on
appropriately chosen channels to eliminate interference.

All true, but again you demonstrate my point:  wireless is more challenging to do well, in the general case.

There is nothing mystical or arcane about the explanation for this difference.  Having both links share the same
radio transmission space makes contention an issue.
The details appear "mystical" and "arcane" to the average user. However, we configure our users' equipment, and our
own, so that this is not a problem. Only if they later add troublesome devices or misconfigure their equipment are
there issues.
In short, your experience does not reflect any problem with wireless broadband delivery but rather the perils of not
configuring one's home Wi-Fi network correctly - an issue which can (and does!) occur on wired networks just as
easily.

Sorry, but I disagree.  The essential point is that wireless introduces additional opportunities for contention --
and on reflection I realized I left out the likelihood that my mobile router probably only has one radio and
therefore can't do simultaneous interaction with the cable router and my devices; sigh -- and often has challenges in
dealing with the contention.

d/

--
Dave Crocker