Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 21:45:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 1, 2017 at 1:08:40 PM EDT
To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () gmail com>, dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

At 10:46 AM 10/1/2017, Dave Crocker wrote:

Brett, actually you substantiate my point.  You are using a specialized, point-to-point technology, which is hugely
different from the wireless technologies used more broadly.

Again, incorrect. LTE is similar to our technology and is used by billions worldwide.

My point is not that wired has no issues while wireless has onerous ones.  My point is that wired has fewer issues,
that are simpler to deal with, and that have a longer history of being dealt with well, at scale.

Wrong. Wired broadband is often prohibitively expensive, especially in areas with low population densities (such as
Wyoming, where I live). The reason why I started the world's first wireless broadband provider, 25 years ago, was to
overcome the issues of wires.

My other point is that wired can constrain contention issues in ways that wireless cannot or at least -- to
acknowledge the specialized kind of service you cite -- most cannot.

The service I provide is not specialized. 3,000 WISPs in the US alone, and more than that worldwide, provide it.

Please review the simple, absolute sentence that prompted my original posting.

I have. And it's incorrect. You apparently don't understand the science or the engineering aspects of wireless.

Then note your current, careful references to the very specific type of wireless you offer.

As I have already mentioned, the type of wireless I offer is at least as common as Wi-Fi.

The issue is not that your statements about the current service are wrong, but that they don't generalize to the
simple, absolute statement I commented on.

Be cautious before making absolute pronouncements. They're likely to be absolutely wrong.

For any issue, it is always possible to cite a specific case that nicely demonstrates whatever wonderful
characteristics one wants.

That is exactly what you did, when claiming that your specific case - in which you configured a network incorrectly -
meant that all wireless is troublesome.

 The problem is with generalizing it to a wider range of users and/or a much larger number of users.

Which is exactly what you did.

All true, but again you demonstrate my point:  wireless is more challenging to do well, in the general case.

Incorrect. We make it plug-and-play. As mentioned above, wired broadband is often so challenging that it is
economically infeasible.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Sorry - but, to be blunt, you're wrong. I've been in the business for 25 years and have thousands of satisfied
wireless broadband users. You botched the configuration of a single home network and are claiming that this one
experience gives you absolute knowledge of all things wireless. I strongly recommend that you learn the facts and the
science before pontificating.

--Brett Glass