Interesting People mailing list archives

re In an Open Letter, Microsoft Employees Urge the Company To Not Bid on the US Military's Project JEDI

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:44:16 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: October 15, 2018 13:40:51 JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re In an Open Letter, Microsoft Employees Urge the Company To Not Bid on the US Military's Project
JEDI

Please don't try the Trump garbage on me.  I have enormous respect for
the military. And among the many military folks I know, there is
widespread disgust with the kinds of missions to which they're put,
how they're so often treated as disposable meat to put pushed into a
grinder for political purposes.

JEDI is specifically described as an effort to "increase lethality."
Last time I looked it up, lethality meant death, and killing human
beings on purpose is murder. JEDI is a murder machine. Now, there's a
separate argument about when murder is justified in national defense
arenas. But you're talking to someone from the Vietnam War era who
knew many military who came back with their lives ruined and who were
treated atrociously by our own government.

The military technology argument almost always reads along the lines
of: "With this technology we can make individual soldiers more
effective and save more of their lives." The problem is that these
systems inevitably entice civilian leadership (that is, the politicos)
into more and more unwise military ventures, which often end up
killing even more of our fine military volunteers than before.

The underlying problem we're dealing with here is that the U.S.
military is attempting to expand their traditional military-industrial
complex from the traditional defense contractors -- whose employees
know full well what they're signing up for when they join -- to
firms like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft -- whose employees we can bet
by and large did not sign on expecting their code to be used to help
kill people, even in ostensibly defensive postures.

This is at the heart of the current rebellion in these spheres
inside these companies.

--Lauren--