Interesting People mailing list archives

Re FCC tells court it has no “legal authority” to impose net neutrality rules

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:04:26 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () strayalpha com>
Date: October 15, 2018 13:26:39 JST
To: David Jack Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re  FCC tells court it has no “legal authority” to impose net neutrality rules

Hi, Dave,

IANAL, but I do know strawman arguments when I see them.

For example:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: October 15, 2018 at 3:40:47 AM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

The Big Irony that strikes me in this debate is that people who maintained for 40 years that the Internet was a
major, game-changing, revolutionary advance in networking are now saying: “Never mind, I was wrong, the Internet is
just another telephone network. Regulate your hearts out, appointed federal bureaucrats!”

I’ve only maintained my small corner of that space for a much smaller period of time, but my position on this has
been consistent.

Let’s think through the implications of the claim that DNS is just like 411 and therefore should be regulated under
Title II.

Not what I said. I said that the FCC’s logic that claims that “the DNS is a service and it’s provided with Internet
connectivity, thus the latter is a service not merely communications” could as easily be applied to 411 and it would
result in the FCC not being able to regulate telephony either.

DNS is provided by Google, Cloudflare, and IBM.

The DNS is two completely different things in this context:
      a)- the DNS resolution (forward and reverse) of IP addresses assigned as part of receiving Internet connectivity
      b)- DNS resolution of public services

DNS provide by transit providers is (a), and an important part of their transit.

DNS provided by non-transit providers is (b).

Should these firms be regulated under Title II as well?

a) is like 411, and (IMO) like 411 can and should be regulated as part of telecommunications
b) is more like the commercial versions of the yellow pages, which many different parties can (and have) published,
regulated in different ways (i.e., not as part of telecommunications)

That would be problematic since Title II includes a lot of baggage in terms of price controls and privacy.
Specifically, it disallows the use of information collected in the course of operating the telecommunications
service for other purposes - such as ad targeting - without affirmative consent. Putting Google (and why not
Facebook while we’re at it, since they operate and extensive network?) under Title II means the end of ad-supported
web indexing.

If this was supposed to make be think “oh, the horror, we can’t accept that baggage”, then you did it wrong.

I don’t think my *transit provider* has any business trying to monetize my access with ads without my consent. It’s
(to me) exactly like opening my mail or tapping my phone to track what to sell me next.

Note that this is distinct from content providers, which (like brick and mortar businesses) can track customers and
target ads.

The FCC has regulated so-called dial-up ISPs as information services since the 1996 Telecommunications Act, and as
enhanced services before. Are we to believe that dial-up ISPs do some information processing magic that broadband
ISPs don’t do? If so, what would that be exactly?

Historically, these dial-up services started as content providers (Prodigy, AOL, etc.), so that made sense.

As dialup and broadband transitioned to transit, its regulation should have transited too (IMO).

While many bloggers regurgitate the advocacy claim that the FCC’s 2017 Restoring Internet Freedom order disavowed
any and all authority to regulate ISPs (they usually say “broadband” but the issue is really "Internet service over
broadband”), a careful reading of the Order and the response to the challenge by Mozilla and other Silicon
Valley-friendly players shows that the FCC’s claim is much more narrow and specific.

FWIW, I was responding to the text in the cited article...

It says Section 706 of the Act doesn’t give the FCC authority to run around enforcing rules that haven’t actually
been written down. The Obama era Title II order, you see, includes a “general conduct standard” that allows the FCC
to sanction practices that it deems objectionable even if they don’t violate the bans on blocking, throttling, and
Quality of Service for a fee specified in the order.

If you want some irony, read the RIF order or the FCC’s response alongside Section 706 and you’ll see that the
FCC’s preemption authority comes from Section 706. You’re not going to see that spelled out in the blogs.

Law, like technology, can be complicated, so sometimes you need to consult primary sources.

There are useful details here and we can indeed debate the way in which the orders were implemented and executed.
Regardless, we need to start with an opening position on whether we consider Internet access to be a common carrier
service (transit of information) or a content service - that determines what sections of the code apply.

Although I appreciate many have hesitated to call the Internet “transit” rather than “content” — because of exactly
the baggage you mention earlier — IMO, that baggage might be the best way to handle things *exactly* because Internet
access *is* transit IMO. If we don’t like the baggage, then let’s deal with that — but I don’t think the logical
contortions required to claim otherwise are an effective way to avoid that issue.

Joe

RB