Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Gates: Computer Viruses Harder to Protect Against if Company Split

From: Felix von Leitner <leitner () VIM ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 12:38:37 +0200

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) - "Love Bugs" of the future could be harder to
protect against if Microsoft is split in two, company co-founder Bill
Gates writes in an essay published in this week's Time magazine.

OK, we are used to lots of bullshit from Bill Gates.
But this really marks the all-time high.
His "innovative" company is the very reason that virii like ILOVEYOU are
even possible!  And when a virus like that happens, the LAST party to
acknowledge responsibility is Microsoft.  What did Microsoft do in the
last week to combat this virus?  What did they do to help the anti-virus
companies?  NOTHING!

I would even say that without Microsoft trying to stand in the way on
incidents like this by issuing statements like the above, combating
virii would be easier than it is now.

That relationship would suffer because the Justice Department's
proposal for breaking up the company would result in fewer innovations
of Windows programs, he said.

I don't remember a single innovation from Microsoft.
I don't see how they could create even fewer innovations in the future.

Felix

ISN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".