Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - March 19th 2001

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:16:39 -0500

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  March 19th, 2001                          Volume 2, Number 12n     |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

This week, many of the articles are worthwhile reading.  Some of the
best include, "building a Bridging Firewall with Linux," "Securely
Erasing a Hard Drive with Perl," and "Responding to a Security
Incident."  Also, this week, Guardian Digital (our parent company),
officially announced EnGarde Secure Linux.  Its a great distro and
something you should definitely keep an eye on.  EnGardeLinux.org

This week, advisories were released for imap, joe, gnuserv, zope,
mailx, icecast, cfengine, rwhod, interbase, slrn, Mesa, sudo,
sgml-tools, and mutt.  The vendors include Caldera, Debian, Immunix,
FreeBSD, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Trustix.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-2690.html

## Guardian Digital Presents EnGarde Linux ##
EnGarde is the next generation in Linux security providing a complete
suite of e-business services, intrusion alert capabilities, improved
authentication and access control utilizing strong cryptography, and
complete SSL secure Web-based administration capabilities.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/engarde-announcement.html

HTML Version available:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* Psudo root!
March 15th, 2001

If you wonder about safely allowing a user to run a program on your
Unix box requiring root privileges and feel uneasy about options like
sharing the root password or using setuid bits then sudo is the
program for you.   A common problem faced is allowing non root users
to dial and establish a connection to the Internet.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2685.html

* Analysis of the KNARK rootkit
March 14th, 2001

Toby Miller has written an analysis of the KNARK rootkit:  "The
purpose of this paper is to identify signatures related to the KNARK
rootkit. This paper does not show how to install the rootkit nor does
it make any comparisons between this rootkit and other rootkits.
This paper will attempt to educate the readers on the various
signatures and problems related to this rootkit."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-2680.html

* Securely Erasing a Hard Drive with Perl
March 13th, 2001

When moving from Ohio to California, GNUJobs.com had some hard drives
(along with other hardware and software) which were to be donated to
COLUG (Central Ohio Linux Users Group). They needed to be deleted
before they were donated. 2 out of the 3 hard drives had bad sectors
on them, and the third I ended up using as a hard drive for testing
purposes, like creating this article, so I ended up not giving any
away. Still, I will need to wipe a hard drive in the future, so I
created this Perl script (which I will later convert to Python and
make it have more options).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-2668.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Building a Bridging Firewall with Linux
March 18th, 2001

The Linux kernels v2.2 and higher have support for Ethernet bridging.
In a bridge, all packets received by one interface are passed to the
other, without regard to source or destination IP address, by
examining the Ethernet MAC destination address of the packet.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2697.html

* Intrusion Detection Systems: An Opening For Hackers?
March 17th, 2001

System administrators who rely on intrusion detection systems to
snag malicious hacker trying to break into their system may  actually
be lulling themselves into a false sense of security, the
government's security watchdog warned today.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-2696.html

* Beleaguered researcher says TCP weakness is real
March 15th, 2001

Two days after a security vendor announced it had found a new
vulnerability in TCP, only to be  lambasted for passing an old
problem off as news, the researcher who identified the weakness
defended his work and the decision to announce it.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2688.html

* How to Build a FreeBSD-STABLE Firewall with IPFILTER
March 12th, 2001

This howto walks you through the process of building one of the most
stable and secure firewalls available - a FreeBSD-STABLE firewall
with IPFILTER. As a part of the installation process, all services
will be disabled except OpenSSH, which will have its access
controlled via TCP-Wrappers. The firewall will be configured to log
through the syslog facility, but will have its own firewall log files
(rather than filling up /var/log/messages).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2657.html

+------------------------+
| Cryptography News:     |
+------------------------+

* Cryotp-Gram: March 15, 2001
March 16th, 2001

In this issue, Bruce Schneier talks about, the "Security Patch
Treadmill", the future role of insurance in network security,
Harvards "new" and "uncrackable" cryptosystem, the TCP/IP sequence
number bug, the "closed' cryptosystem of iBallot.com, some problems
with conventional IDS, and how the recent vulnerabilities found in
the 802.11 WEP protocol should make us all take another look at all
protocols.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-2694.html

* Tiny C code bests seven-line DVD decoder
March 14th, 2001

Coder Charles M Hannum has created the smallest program capable of
decoding a  Content Scrambling System (CSS) DVD file, beating last
week's seven-line Perl shell  script 442 bytes to 472 (excluding
newline bytes).    Hannum's C program, called efdtt, is no slouch,
either. The programmer claims it can  "descramble in excess of
21.5MBps" - faster than the DVD spec. allows for.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-2678.html

+------------------------+
| Vendors/Products:      |
+------------------------+

* Guardian Digital Presents EnGarde Secure Linux
March 16th, 2001

EnGarde is the next generation in Linux security providing a complete
suite of  e-business services, intrusion alert capabilities, improved
authentication and access  control utilizing strong cryptography, and
complete SSL secure Web-based  administration capabilities.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-2693.html

* ssh suite: Sftp, scp and ssh-agent
March 12th, 2001

The aim of this article is to provide an introduction to some useful
programs in the SSH suite, i.e. sftp, scp, ssh-agent and ssh-add. In
the following we suppose that sshd2 daemon is well configured and
running.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-2660.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* Companies report the Internet was the most common point of security
breaches
March 15th, 2001

Experts say a large number of attacks go unrecognized, and that the
total is hard to assess, with companies reluctant to admit that
they've been attacked unless the attack has already been publicized.
  High-profile attacks in 2000 included the coordinated
denial-of-service attacks against Yahoo!, eBay, Buy.com, and several
other websites in February, as well as the virus that invaded
Microsoft's internal network in November.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-2686.html

* NIST tool analyzes security
March 15th, 2001

The National Institute of Standards and Technology released draft
guidance last week  for agencies that are attempting to perform
self-assessments of their information  security programs.    The
draft Self-Assessment Guide for Information Technology Systems is a
questionnaire that builds upon the Federal IT Security Assessment
Framework, which  was developed by NIST and issued by the Chief
Information Officers Council in  November 2000.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-2683.html

* Responding to a Security Incident
March 14th, 2001

The question that often comes up is what to do about it. Unless it's
a financial or safety issue, it's probably going to get laughed at by
the legal authorities, but it's worth reporting. ..  We'll not go
into detecting incidents, but we will define them as port probes,
port scans, denial of service (DoS) attempts and unauthorized access
attempts. Each of these warrants investigation, some more than
others. Combining intrusion detection software with log analysis
(which you should be doing anyhow), these events should stand out.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-2682.html