nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comments

From: Peter Dawe <peter () unipalm co uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 94 12:47:26 +0100 (BST)

Milo S. Medin wrote ...

       Cheap, low speed connections to the NAP - We got squeezed by product
       availability here.  We know that there is a bigger market in selling T
      1 speed
       connections to the NAPs than T3 and above.  However, we had a requirem
      ent to
       support multiple T3's initially (remember that the minimum purpose of
      the
       NAPs is to support the existing NSFNET backbone for transition purpose
      s, the
       NSPs who are providing access to RNP's and who have a requirement to c
      onnect to
       all of the priority NAPs, and the vBNS).  FDDI and SMDS weren't going
      to survive
       for long under this type of load, but ATM doesn't yet have T1 capabili
      ty
       (although it's coming).  So, we proposed ATM, starting at 45 and 155 M
      b/s
       initially, and extending to 1.5 Mb/s and 622 Mb/s as switching equipme
      nt
       becomes available.  Believe me, we'll be offering T1 speed connections
       the SF and Chicago NAPs just as soon as we can make it work.

Why offer T1 connections?  The primary goal of the NAP's in the first
phase of the transition is to support the replacement of 1 core NSP with
a few NSP's with minimum disruption.  THIS is what should be optimized
for.  Are you confident that all the management procedures and technologies
we are deploying will support a gob of T1 NAP attached AS's?  This is highly
questionable in my mind, esp. with PVC's that have to be configured by hand.

I knew the truth about NAPS would come out.

The idea is to squeeze out the small US players and force them to
pay the DS3 capable telcos for their access.

Is this anti-competative or what!

I'm glad I don't operate in the US
Peter Dawe, Director, Unipalm plc,       Email: peter () unipalm co uk
     Managing Director, PIPEX Ltd        Voice: +44(0)1223 250100
216 The Science Park, Milton Road        Fax:   +44(0)1223 250101
Cambridge, England, CB4 4WA              WWW: http://www.pipex.net
Government Regulation?
    The minimum needed to maintain an open and free market for all!