nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comments

From: Peter Dawe <peter () unipalm co uk>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 94 21:35:51 +0100 (BST)

Gordon Cook wrote ...

Re the NAPs and connectivity.  Are there varying degrees of
problems?  What happens if Unipalm comes into MAE East and
peers with everyone there?  Including Sprintlink, MCInet, and
ANS?  Are we hearing that these three would refuse transit to
Unipalm's traffic that would need to go to NAPs in order to get
to the academic regionals?  If such an arrangement would not
guarantee Unipalm adequate connectivity, why not?  Where
would the failure points be and for what reasons?

So long as ALL NSPs agree to peer at MAE-East then things should be OK, as no
transit is needed because all the regionals are connected by their individual
service provider. However there is no REQUIREMENT to peer. I am looking for
NSF to make this a requirement (at least for a year or so) to ensure continued
ubiquitous connectivity.

Alternately, the customers should require their NSPs to agree peering policies
constant with this. Unfortunately, there is a danger that some NSP customers
are niave and will assume  connectivity without contractual requirements.

Are we hearing that to get carriage across Sprint, MCI and ANS
that Unipalm would have to connect to all 3 NAPs???

I thought it was 5 NAPS!

Why?  I
thought connecting to all 3 was necessary only where a net
wanted to be eligible for regional connectivity monies.

UUNet and PSI will get traffic to all the regionals through MAE
East or CIX??

Steve Goldstein's July 19th message to foreign nets (that I
understand drew an outstanding flame from Rick Adams)
cautioned foreign nets not to take their connectivity for
granted.  Well let me ask for example what a net like Demos
that comes from Moscow into Alternet will have to do to be
assured complete connectivity??  Which I guess is saying what
will Alternet have to do to guarantee Demos connectivity?

Gordon Cook, Editor Publisher: COOK Report on Internet -> NREN
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ  08618 USA
NEW E-mail: cook () mcs com
Subscriptions: $500 corporate site license; $175 edu.,non-profit & small corp.
$85 Individual

Over in Europe we have already had examples of networks having difficulty in
maintaining connectivity with large networks asking for 'contribution' towards
their network from smaller networks. This is why I keep argueing.

I also worry about how few networks are taking part in this discussion!

Peter

Internet:- The right to say what you want to the world, and for them not to listen