nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () sprint net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 18:49:39 -0400

Hank Nussbacher <HANK () taunivm tau ac il> wrote:

The e-mail interface
of NACRs is close to uselessness, and too big headache to deal with.
Waiting time on processing is simply ridiculous.

I've been sending updates to auto-dbm () ripe net for the past 2 years
with no problem.

You don't have to keep a full-time engineer just to handle
NACRs, do you?

There should be a host accepting telnet sessions for on-line
updates (which have to be installed *immediately*, so whoever
added a network can test connectivity and go ahead).

telent info.ripe.net to test it out.

RIPE database does not control the actual routing.

I'm not sure the current RADB project has any mention
of real-time updates of gated from the database.
With dozens of updates we do every day it nearly as good
as useless.

There should be well-defined and useful interface to service
providers databases.

It should be secure.

I use a password on all AS updates to AS378.

You call *that* secure?  We have way too many people who
need to do changes for our AS-es.  Check the contact
list for AS1800.

Without that i do not see RADB being successful or useful beyond the
point of filtering updates from particularly obnoxious peers.

It may not have everything we want today but it is an excellent starting
platform.

If i can't implement my existing policy, i cannot use RADB, ok?

(Well, we _will_ use it -- to talk to people whose announcements
are loaded with garbadge).  We simply cannot use it to talk
to major service providers because policies in place cannot
be represented in RIPE-81.

--vadim