nanog mailing list archives

Re: root name servers

From: Paul A Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 11:35:17 -0700

[vixie]
I would.  Elise and her team are experts at what they do, but running a root
name server is not quite the same thing.

[delong]
That is quite true.  However, I have set up a couple of "un-official" root
name servers for clients of mine who had HEAVY lookup traffic.  It has worked
quite well, and didn't seem substantially different from running an ISP
nameserver that was secondary for a whole bunch of customer domains.

true -- it wouldn't have been.  running a server that's in the root delegation
is a bit different.  i'm not saying that it takes some kind of arcane secret
handshake -- but it does rather seem to me that elise's team has their hands
full.  if i hear otherwise from elise herself, then i will suggest to the IANA
that RSs at XPs be given priority for new root servers.