nanog mailing list archives

Re: the Internet Backbone

From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 96 18:41:27 GMT

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Why not just start calling it the Internet "core". The core of the US
Internet no longer follows a backbone topology. The core is composed of
the major NSP's who operate national backbones providing national transit
and who interconnect at all or most of the public exchange points.

Make sense?

Core makes sense to me, as a description of the entirety!

Actually, the old "backbone" was a mesh, with redundancy.  Some NSPs
claiming "backbone" (such as PSI) have so little redundancy that they
fall over regularly.  And the connectivity beteen many NSPs is excrable,
as well documented in this forum.

My point was there are few (if any) backbones.  If your own back didn't
connect to all your limbs, you would have a bit of trouble standing.

WSimpson () UMich edu