nanog mailing list archives

Re: Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

From: Barry Raveendran Greene <barry () singnet com sg>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 17:21:41 -0700

Hello Robert,

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

Hong Kong looks slightly promising except for the slight problem of
next summer.  Singapore is probably a no-go because of how anal the
government is there; all we need is an AP CIX with a host government
enforced AUP that says "no dirty gifs, no politically unacceptable
speech, etc.".

Actually, when you count the number of countries directly interconnected at any Asia Pacific IX (including the ones on
the US West Cost) STIX - Singapore Telecom Internet Exchange is currently #1. (see http://www.stix.net).

Singapore's SBA (the Internet censor) has stated over and over again that business and international traffic are NOT
their problem. They just out to protect the people at home - and that's Singapore's really none of our business (and
not a topic for NANOG). Please read the information from the source vs reading biased reporters from the US -
http://www.gov.sg/sba.

As to you other point, AP CIX is a no go in Asia Pacific. This discussion as been going on for over 4 years. I've been
involved and actively trying to make it happen for over 3 years. The cable consortium, telco, national, AP ISP and US
ISP politics prevent any type of successful 'neutral' IX in Asia Pacific.

Barry

--
Barry Raveendran Greene             |       ||        ||        |
Senior Consulting Engineering       |       ||        ||        |