nanog mailing list archives

Re: SYN flood messages flooding my mailbox

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:07:55 -0400

In message <199609180045.RAA00207 () quest quake net>, Vadim Antonov writes:
Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net> wrote:

If you relax criteria for reverse-route filtering to "known route" instead
of "best route" then any customer (non-transit) AS can be filtered safely
at border routers.

And if the "known route" is know by another router but suppressed from
IBGP advertisement because there is a better route ..

But you still have the exterior route in the RIB.  So you know it.

I guess a picture would help:

     AS X R1  ------  AS Y R3
        |                |
        |                |
     AS X R2  ------  AS Y R4

If the route learned at AS Y R4 is preferred, AS Y R3 may get packets
although the forwarding entry (Fib) points toward AS Y R4, the LocRib
does not contain the entry (no preferred), only the AdjRibIn contains
the entry.  If the filter must be set according to AdjRibIn, you now
have a filter list **in the forwarding path** considerably longer than
the current routing table.  Won't scale at the very least.

Or if the "known route" goes through an AS that uses YOU as their best
route but the reverse traffic goes a different way..

So what?  The assumption is that multi-homed AS announces all its
routes to all exits (maybe with different "metrics").

In this case:

     AS a R1  ------  AS b R2  ------  AS d R4
        |                |                |
        |                |                |
        +-----------  AS c R3  -----------+

In this case AS c prefers AS a.  AS d prefers AS c.  AS b prefers the
routes it hears from AS b.  AS a prefers some route through AS d that
it hears from AS b over the route it hears from AS c.  Therefore AS d
has no Fib, LocRib, or even AdjRibIn from AS b R2, but will get
legitimate traffic from R2 that is dstined for places that is
reachable through AS d but for which AS d uses AS c for the return path.

Is there any practical example of _properly configured_ multihomed
non-transit AS which advertises more routes at one exit than another?

Both of these cases and other cause a blackhole.

Not at all.

The first case is clearly less scalable than the current routing table
(consider putting all AdjRibIn entries at a NAP into your filters on
the forwarding card).  The second just plain doesn't work.

Curtis