nanog mailing list archives

Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:22:15 -0700

At 12:40 PM -0700 4/26/97, Karl Denninger wrote:
For 90% of that database, the development and operation was paid for with
*private funds* as a *private, for-profit, revenue-funded* business.

        under a government agreement, with a government assignment of
responsibility and government review and approval of the fees.

        the agreement, by the way, says that the data belong to the government.

NSI put up the risk capital to do this.  They did so with no guarantee
of a profit, and in fact claim they have lost money.

        no, really they didn't, since the captial came from the revenue stream.

I believe that if push comes to shove, this will be supported through legal
process.

        and I believe they won't.  ain't it great to have all these free
legal opinions floating around?

This is what I've been saying for 18 months, but nobody wanted to hear it
then because it was politically unpalatable.

        or, perhaps, because your legal opinions are even less than mine,
and that's going some.

d/

Dave Crocker                                             +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                              fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                  dcrocker () brandenburg com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                        http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium                http://www.imc.org, info () imc org