nanog mailing list archives

Re: An end to spam through Graphnet

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 20:28:11 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Fri, August 1, 1997 at 17:10:19 (-0600), John-David Childs wrote: ]
Subject: Re: An end to spam through Graphnet

I implemented these anti-spam rules on the servers I administrate about
three months ago.  There was a flood of complaints from people who use
other dialin services, so I put together a list of the SMTP servers for
"the big boys"  and also for the local (competing) ISP's in each community
served (I sysadmin ISP's in three states).  The list is available to the
customers via web or email.  Since then, no complaints.

AH!  That's a really good idea!  Just help the customer's configure
their mailer to use the particular SMTP server for the dial-up they're
currently on.....  For most purposes this should be more than adequate.
It also opens up a market for a little config wizard that can do this
based on the number dialed!  ;-)

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>