nanog mailing list archives

Multiple fiber carriers (was Re: Netrail woes)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:20:35 -0700

        I'll ignore Nathan's defense because IMHO it has no place
        on this list, and get straight to the operational issues.

On Aug 25, Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net> wrote:

P.S. We have also learned not be be dependent on Worldcom. We will soon
buy our DS3s from 3 fibers carriers, and not just 1.

        I'd assume that everybody is currently either already doing
        this or planning to do it RSN.  How can one tell, however,
        whether their carrier is using their own fiber or leasing
        Worldcom's?  Or even if Worldcom has been leasing /theirs/,
        thus putting you right back on the same physical line?

        I know this is a pretty common topic of discussion among
        the smaller telcos, but AFAIK there's no easy solution.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."