nanog mailing list archives

Re: usdns.org

From: Eric Kozowski <kozowski () structured net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:24:01 -0700 (PDT)

I received the following from Jon Postel.  Posted with his permission.

Eric:

Thanks for asking.

The USDNS organization is esentially a broker for domain names in the
US (and maybe other) domains.

The idea seems to be that if a customer wants a domain name and does
not know how to get it he can go to the broker and ask for what he
wants.  The broker then does the work by contacting the appropriate
domain manager and getting the name registered and paying any fees due
to the domain manager.  The broker adds on his own fee and bills the
customer.

There seem to be several such services in operation.

Some people seem to be glad to find such helpful services, other people
seem to think that since these services charge you for something you
could do directly yourself for less there is something wrong about
their existance.

In the world there are many such services, we all make tradeoffs every
day between doing something ourselves vs using a service to do it for
us.  We all trade money vs time and/or knowledge and/or skill.

The US Domain Administration does not make any recommendations positive
or negative about such services.

--jon.

--
Eric Kozowski              VP Internet Services
eric () structured net        Structured Network Systems, Inc.