nanog mailing list archives

Re: usdns.org

From: "Mark Borchers" <markb () infi net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:37:15 +0500

My suggestion to ISI at this point would be to distinguish between
"community" registrars and "commercial" registrars.  A community registrar
must have a reasonable relation to the place for which it's a registry,
e.g. live or have an office within 20 miles of it, and handle registrations
at no charge.  Commercial registries have no such restrictions.  In case of
conflicting requests between community and commercial registrars, the
community registrar wins.

This seems like the seed of a great idea, although the 20-mile
restriction may be too tight.

I'm thinking specifically of a regional ISP from the NSFNet days
which...

- Provided US domain registration services in a very professional
manner for roughly an entire state.

- Never charged for registration (still doesn't as far as I know)

- Did a lot to promote use of the US domain within its region

On a related note, last year ISI, evidently in response to the
problem you describe, announced that US subregistries would be
limited to 50 delegations apiece.  I don't know if this limit was
applied retroactively to subregistries that were already handling a
larger number of subdomains or not.