nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

From: Brian Tackett <cym () acrux net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:49:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Vince Wolodkin wrote:

It's time you faced it, though you and others may have put a great deal
of work into building what the internet has become, so have many
others.  It doesn't mean that it belongs to you.  It doesn't mean that
people who are trying to build something now are pirates.

No. It means that people who try to take a public resource and make it a
private cash cow ARE pirates. I challenge you to show one email, any email
(or any other verifiable piece of info) anywhere in which Paul has claimed
to own the net.

even be a little bit afraid that some of them might succeed.  But why is
their input LESS valuable than yours, and who are you to make this
judgement?

He isn't. The Internet community is, and that community probably values
Paul's input because of his track record and his demonstrable talent and
insight into issues :)

Take a good look in the mirror and decide, do you want to work with
others or do you want to dictate to others?  Then please let us know, we
may need to ignore you in the future.

Ignore whomever you choose to ignore. I think you'll find that Paul (and
others, certainly) are concerned with working inside a framework which is
most beneficial to the Internet community at large. DNS pirates like
the eDNS/uDNS/AlterNIC crowd are not, thay're interested in producing a
perception of power and a stream of revenue for themselves.