nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:32:49 -0500

On Thu, May 29, 1997 at 10:44:28AM -0400, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:
Vince Wolodkin supposedly said:

Paul A Vixie wrote:

P.S. Keep in mind that a Root Name Server Confederation is
a collection of Root Name Servers. The new ISI/NSI confederation
that is being built just moved one of its nameservers to the
control of RIPE and it is located in London, England.

fiction.

there are some root name servers.

then there are some pirates who are trying to coin the "confederation" term.

Mr Vixie,

I realize your exasperation with certain elements that have arisen in
this "new age" of the internet.  Many of them ARE in it for the money.
Of course, you realize, that this was bound to happen.  Any successful
non-profit venture will ultimately have people trying to make money off
of it.  It's not illegal, though piracy is.

While you disagree with the "confederation" ideas that Mr. Fleming
espouses, calling he and others pirates is rather ridiculous.  If you
were involved in an IETF proceeding and someone presented an alternate
idea, would you call them pirates?

Paul can certainly speak for himself, but I think the issue that most
people (myself included) have is that these people refuse to work within
the IETF process.  If they want to change things and follow the procedure
that everyone else has used for years then great, let them try and convince
people of the validity of their ideas.

If, on the other hand, they refuse to work within the well established
system and go off into a corner and make grand declarations and try and
fracture the "rough consensus" model that has kept the net operating for
years, then they are indeed pirates.  I would like to point out that going
through the IETF process does not mean your ideas will be accepted.  More
ideas and plans are rejected than are accepted.

The IAHC was not done within the IETF process.  There is no RFC which was
promoted to either a BCP or Internet Standard defining their work.

That was ENTIRELY a private decision and done outside of the IETF process.

Those who live in glass houses....

--->  Phil

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
                             | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal