nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Great Exchange

From: shields () crosslink net (Michael Shields)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:52:47 +0000 (GMT)

Michael Shields writes:
I think pricing based on the actual destination makeup of your
traffic is more fair than pricing based on the assumption that your
traffic is like everyone else's.

So, this is an issue of perceived morality and not a technical issue?

I think its only fair that everyone pay for the matchbooks they
use. The fact that matchbooks are generally given away these days,
instead of having people charged for them on a usage basis, is grossly
unfair.

I think it is only fair that everyone pay for the television they
watch on a metered basis. If you watch for ten hours, you should be
paying twice as much as for five hours, right? Its only FAIR!!!!!

I think it is only fair that you should pay twice as much for a Fedex
package going twice the distance, and I'm MAD THAT THEY DON'T CHARGE
THAT WAY, DAMNIT!

Now that we've all figured out how silly this sounds...  Mr. Shields,
"Fair" has nothing to do with it.

What the hell kind of straw man is this?

Yes, it sounds absolutely foolish, but you are attacking an argument I
did not make.  Perry, I am *not* a flake.  I don't think that
distance-insensitive pricing is immoral; or that it is going away; or
that backbones should adopt it; or even that I know or care what sort
of pricing models people have.  All I said was that distance-sensitive
pricing is feasible.

What place it has in the market, if any, I don't know, and it is
absolutely 100% pointless to argue about it.  You think it has no
place in the market, and I think it could be worthwhile for some
niches.  Neither of our opinions matter; the market will figure it
out.  I don't care to argue about it.  It doesn't matter.  The market
will figure it out.

By "fair" I don't mean "moral", I mean "pricing more accurately
reflecting costs".  I am sorry if you see this as a loaded term.

In fact, "fair" is exactly the word used by connect.com.au, the first
Australian ISP whose web page I looked at, to decribe their three-
tiered pricing model -- intra-network, web cached, and external.
This sounds to me like a coarse attempt at distance-sensitive pricing
for an area of the world where bandwidth *is* a major cost.

So, is it technically viable or not?  I posted a method that I think
will work, using existing netflow data, i.e. no significant extra
router load.  Is something wrong with it?
--
Shields, CrossLink.