nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: "Michael L. Barrow" <mlbarrow () eni net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 10:00:18 -0700

Derek Balling wrote:

True, that's what his statement appears to say, however, who is to define
"abuse" of the whois service?

As an example, a company I worked for a while back wanted to generate, on
their statistics reports for their customers' web sites, who each domain
was who was hitting their page, and who it belonged to (e.g. someone

Interesting point and an interesting application. I never thought of
doing that. I guess I just always think in terms of domain names. You
mean, there's a world outside of the Internet? =)

Since we're on the topic, what *is* the process for getting access to
the whois DB? Is this even possible at this day and age? Isn't there
already a process in place to get full copies of the root zone files?
Couldn't this be extended to the whois data? Heck, it's just another
contract....

--
Michael L. Barrow * <mlbarrow () eni net> * Network Engineer
Epoch Internet    * DSL Engineering    * (949) 399-8413