nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:51:55 +0400 (MSD)

_is_ caching, with zero retention time) - w/o associated security and
scalability problems.  Presenting L2/L3 multicasting as the best or the
only
or even a meaningful way to reduce transmission duplication is quite
wrong.

research or data to support these assertions?

and how does caching magically negate security and scalability concerns?
what tools are you using to do content replication/management that scale to
thousands of hosts/caches?  even if i assume caching is as efficient, or
more so, than multicast, i'm still just trading one set of
security/scalability concerns for others.  caching is no more a silver
bullet than multicast.
In case of simple replication _on the fly_ or translation _unicast to
multicast_, this is the same from point of view of effieiency.

But multicst suppose to do perlication at the L2 level, where you have no
information about the context, about _time to expire_ (how multicast
helps you to decrease traffic in case of AUDIO-ON-DEMAND_ if I ask some
nw song, and you ask the same song 10 seconds later - but remember, such
requests are no popular then _Live audio_ requests except some events).
If case of _caching on the fly_ you have all L4 (not L3 but L4)
information, it's flexible level and vendor can easily add _time to
expire_ into his live stream.

Just again, multicasting is the END of L4 caсhing, not the beginning. And
when I analyse existing network, I saw the useless of multicasting
_except_ some special cases (such as some live streams in case of
important events).

And I think the idea _to start from multicsting_ was wrong from th first
moment of time. You should END by multicasting - when you ahev a network
of media sources, a network of media customers, the set of policies
installed over the world - you can use multicasting locally to improve
the local throughput. But try to build multicast network this days - the
thouthand of hackers will be happy -:), and a lot of ISP refuse to
cooperate...

PS. I never saw the multimedia really need multicasting on the L2 level
-:). But I see a lot of multimedia where L4 caching can improve quality
dramatically. Every day.

I think blaming vendors for inability to build products which run faster
than the proven lower boundaries for the required kind of algorithms is,
er, strange.

i won't deny the potential scalability problems but i think your
generalizing/oversimplifying to say caching just works and has no security
or scalability concerns.
It's amazing, but please name ANY securyty concern appeared due to WWW
caching -:). It's not ideal solution (you can't cache SSL sessions, for
example, through you can cache signed or crypted sessions - image PRP
crypted multimedia session, for example), but I can't remember any
security problem with it.

-brett

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)