nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN whois

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:57:40 -0800

On 11/23/99, "Derek J. Balling" <dredd () megacity org> wrote:

At 09:46 AM 11/23/99 -0800, J.D. Falk wrote:

The real answer is putting an authentication layer into SMTP.

        Already done.  Sendmail supports it.  Where've you been?

Well, to be fair, sendmail has only supported it in a public release for
2-3 weeks. :)

        True, but POP-before-SMTP and such have been around for much
        longer -- and, while I personally think they're pretty awful
        kludges in most cases, it WORKS.

There are other MTA's that Dean could long ago installed that implemented
SMTP-AUTH before sendmail got around to it, though, so his argument is
still pretty moot.

        I think the root of his argument is that he doesn't want to
        feel as if somebody else is pressuring him to do something he
        would be too lazy to do otherwise.  And, if his laziness did
        not affect anybody else, I'd support him in that.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  |  "A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points... |
  |   but it is by no means the most interesting."                       |
  |                  -- Jon Pertwee as Doctor Who in "Doctor Who and     |
  |                     the Time Warrior" by Robert Holmes (BBC, 1974)   |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----