nanog mailing list archives

Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

From: Jeff Mcadams <jeffm () iglou com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:13:48 -0500

Also sprach Dennis Glatting
You can't get address pool space from ARIN for anything less than a
/20, last I looked.

Oh, and how about this lovely logic.

We're currently efficiently (according to ARIN's guidelines) utilizing a
/20, 2 /23's and a /24.  We apply to ARIN for space, and what do they
say they'll give us?  A /20.  Period.  Someone care to explain this to
me?  We're going to give back to upstreams a /20+ that we're efficiently
utilizing, and to do this we're supposed to renumber into *less* space
than what we have now?  And to pay for the privelage of doing so?  And
people wonder why providers and other corporations don't have any
motivation to clean up routing tables and do the other things we're
always being told we need to do in order to be good Internet neighbors.
People tend to quit doing nice things if doing nice things earns them a
slap in the face.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm () iglou com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848