nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP filtering of supernets out of classful space

From: Michael Hallgren <m.hallgren () free fr>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 22:47:49 +0200

John Fraizer wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Daniel Senie wrote:

I'd like to see sites which filter provide a looking glass or similar so
that other providers can quickly and efficiently debug routing issues,
and also some known place where those providers doing filtering can be
listed, along with test hosts which can be traced to for testing whether
there are routing problems or not.

Several folks will tell me I'm dreaming (or smoking something), no
doubt.

Dan

Some providers are VERY paranoid about people seeing what their routing
table looks like.  I requested that one of our upstreams provide a
looking-glass and their reply was "The LG code requires that we open up
RSH on the routers.  No Way!"

So...

I wrote looking-glass code that uses telnet.  I provided it to the
provider in question.  Still no looking-glass nearly a year later.

Depending on vendor, you may provide lookingglass functionality over SSH.
I feel it's pretty good to be reluctant on openening up rsh/telnet. Wether or
not the provider in
question want's to publish the information... ... is probably another another
question, though
a lot of it isn't hidden only by non-providing a lg.

mh

Oh well.

John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc.

--
Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr

"If you want truly to understand something,
 try to change it"
                   - Kurt Lewin (1890-1947)