nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:19:15 -0500

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:19:12 PST, Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>  said:
shares on the internet? We use SMB/Samba INSTEAD of NFS because we believe
SMB to be more secure. smb.conf certainly gives more security options than
exports does.

Don't confuse "more options" with "more security".

A protocol can have dozens of options, but yet be fundementally insecure.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst