nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definition of a burstable circuit

From: Andy Dills <andy () xecu net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:35:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Stanley, Jon wrote:

Without getting into a religious debate, I need some consensus for a
problem that I am having regarding the definition of a burstable
circuit.

In my view of the world, a burstable circuit is defined as one where
the customer can send us as much data as they would like (for example,
an entire DS3's worth on a consistent basis), and we would bill them
for usage above the contracted amount via some method (we use 90th
percentile reporting)

In someone else's view inside the company, the customer should be
prohibited from sending above the contracted rate for any extended
period of time by policing at the ATM layer.  Both views are viable,
but I believe (nearly religously) that the former view is correct.

Any input would be appreciated.

To me, what you view as "burstable" means "metered".

IMHO, "burstable" means you are gauranteed X bandwidth, and you can burst
up to Y, but only if network conditions allow.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access